New regulations and procedures as per ICANN's 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement are now live!
Here is some information direct from the Registrar Tucows:
Validating a registrant's email address
- Effective immediately, the registrant contact needs to be validated upon the purchase or transfer of a domain name, or if the registrant's first name, last name or email address have been modified. Tucows sends an email that, like our other features, has white label/branding capabilities.
- Reminder emails will be re-sent on days 5, 10 and 13 within the 15-day validation window; messages on days 10 and 13 of this process are sent to the Admin, Tech and Billing contacts as well.
- The same process takes place if a WHOIS Data Reminder Policy (WDRP) notice, 30 day expiration notice or 5 day expiration notice bounce. It's therefore crucial to ensure the WHOIS data provided is correct.
- Failing to receive a response within 15 days requires us to suspend the name. As a result, the name will be placed on ClientHold, rendering the domain name inactive.
- This process applies to all gTLDs. There is no impact to existing names as long as they are not modified, and WDRP/expiration notices do not bounce.